Tuesday, January 30, 2007

In-Class Writing Exercise

In-Class Writing Assignment

The Setting - this classroom, present time.

Upsetting Moment – Slip and fall on the ice, and hurt yourself.

Plot – Surprise quiz over a reading.
(use first-person style)
The air is as ice laid upon my skin. The only moisture within my nose has frozen. Breathing in shallow breaths, I quicken my steps to arrive at the warm and cozy classroom in record time. Looking up to the shining sun in hopes of harnessing some heat from it, my feet slide from beneath me and I am planted on the pavement….spread-eagle and flattened by some ice lying in wait to attack me. I can feel the freezing pavement attempting to liberate me from any warmth I have left. I quickly gather my book bag and carefully rise from the ground so I do not end up in that position again. I am walking a bit slower now, acutely aware of the possibility that I may hit the pavement again if I go too fast. Ah, there it is, the building!
I smile now, even giggle beneath my breath because I can still see myself splattered on the walkway. Into the classroom, still smirking with that smile, I see others who have made it safely. I happily rest my book bag on the table, remove my gloves and jacket, and let the chair draw me in for some comfort.
The comfort of the classroom does not last long. My eyes glance upward as the professor enters the room with the announcement of a “pop” quiz.” I think I should have stayed at home today.
(Use third-person style)
Steven walks through the air like it is working against him and from the looks of it, his runny nose has frozen and a thin layer of ice encases his nostrils. Breathing in shallow breaths, he quickens his steps to arrive at the warm and cozy classroom he seeks to reach in record time. Looking up to the shining sun in hopes of harnessing some heat from it, Steve’s feet slide from beneath him and he is planted on the pavement….spread-eagle and flattened by some ice lying in wait to attack only him. He looks paralyzed there on the pavement, as if he is being held captive by the cold and the concrete itself. He quickly gathers his book bag and carefully rises from the ground as not to end up in that position fallen again. He is walking a bit slower now, seemingly aware of the possibility that he may be sucked to the pavement again if he goes too fast. Ah, there it is, the building he seeks!
He is smiling now, even giggling under his breath because, perhaps, he can still picture himself splattered on the walkway. Into the classroom, still smirking with that smile, he looks upon others who have made it safely. He happily rests his book bag on the table, removes his gloves and jacket, and lets the chair draw him in for some comfort.
His comfort is short-lived. Steve’s eyes follow the professor to the podium and he pricks his ears to attention. “Please prepare yourselves for a quiz students,” announces the professor. Steve slides down in his chair, defeated for the day within only fifteen minutes of beginning it. He knew he should have stayed at home that Monday.
(Use third-person-omniscient)
Steven walks through the air as if it is working against him. His runny nose has frozen and a thin layer of ice encases his nostrils. An oncoming student notices Steve’s nose and pulls up her own face mask to avoid the same fate. Breathing in shallow breaths, he quickens his steps to arrive at the warm and cozy classroom he seeks to reach in record time. Looking up to the shining sun in hopes of harnessing some heat from it, Steve’s feet slide from beneath him and he is planted on the pavement...spread-eagle and laid out by some ice lying in wait to attack only him. He looks paralyzed there on the pavement, as if he is being held captive by the cold and the concrete itself. Moreover, other students do not attempt to rescue him because they fear he will pull them down as well. The successful football star, conquered by a cup of frozen water, pretends not to be bothered in the least. He quickly gathers his book bag and carefully rises from the ground as not to end up in that fallen position again. He is walking a bit slower now, seemingly aware of the possibility that he may be sucked to the pavement again if he goes too fast. Ah, there it is, the building he seeks! The cause of all this discomfort, the class he would have loved to avoid, could have been replaced by planting himself on the couch at home. No one else was home, he could have just stayed there and no one would be the wiser.
He is smiling now, even giggling under his breath because, perhaps, he can still picture himself splattered on the walkway. In addition, he can see himself on the couch, seeing now that this was the choice he should have made. Into the classroom, still smirking with that smile, he looks upon others who have made it safely. A few students smile back and join in his giggles. They just saw him defeated by ice and concrete, and they are happy it was not them. He gently rests his book bag on the table, removes his gloves and jacket, and lets the chair draw him in for some comfort.
The comfort of the chair would not last very long. The students’ eyes follow the professor as she enters the class and writes, “Quiz Today” on the chalkboard. Moans and groans fill the air. Steve rubs his neck and takes a deep breath as if he has suffered a terrible injury.
Meanwhile, Steve’s Mother arrives at home to see if Steven has actually gone to class. She has an uncanny knack for knowing when something other than school is on his mind. To her surprise, the house is empty and warm. Perhaps she could take a short nap. No one else would need to know. What a fine way to begin the week.

No comments: